Hope for the Hurting

The purpose of this blog is to offer words of encouragement to brothers and sisters in Christ who have been hurt by the church. The local church is made up of people. Those people are not perfect. Unfortunately, those people can sometimes hurt each other. If you have a word of encouragement, scripture, or devotional that would help a hurting church member, please feel free to post it here.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

What is Church?

I came across Kimberley's blog last night. She was an Outreach Minister for a church and was recently dismissed. Here's how she describes her feelings just a few weeks ago:



Where is the community, where is everyone? I feel like this community of people I spent time with, worked with, went on trips with, just ended when there was theological differences. I can understand a job ending, but i cannot understand the community ending. Where the hell is the community? Where are these people who hugged me and supported me? Was it all fake, was it all just for show? At this point as long I am sitting here alone with no community I will say that it all was fake.
She later says:


Sometimes when we are hurt by the church we are told to find a new church or a new community. But I think the church should come to those who are broken, as right now I have no interest in finding another church. What I really need is for the church to come to me and love me.


These are all thoughts that I have wrestled with. Trying to figure out how my church "family" could just abandon me. Throw me to the side after all the work and worship we've done together. But, I've tried really hard to separate people (and the choices they've made) from my personal relationship with Christ. There have been times that I have wondered if the constructs of the church are even necessary. If it were'nt for my children, we may not be attending anywhere.

But, as my boys are approaching adolescence, I knew it was important for them to have a Christian peer group. They still need spiritual training. They don't know all there is to know about scripture and the Christian life.

And neither do I. I need a church for all these things, as well. But, I also need a church where I can serve Him and use the gifts that God has given me.

So, now I find myself saying that I will find a new church. But, I will never get as "involved" as I once was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home