Hope for the Hurting

The purpose of this blog is to offer words of encouragement to brothers and sisters in Christ who have been hurt by the church. The local church is made up of people. Those people are not perfect. Unfortunately, those people can sometimes hurt each other. If you have a word of encouragement, scripture, or devotional that would help a hurting church member, please feel free to post it here.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, July 28, 2006

Trying to Make Sense, Part 2

I've been thinking about the stories I've read and the people I know. Granted, it's a small group of people and I'm no psychologist, but it seems that each one of us has had to explore a couple of questions.

First, a person will need to decide whether they blame the church, the people, or God for the hurt they are experiencing. Hopefully, those who have a close relationship with Christ will not choose to turn their backs on God. Therefore, let's assume that people blame the church or the people.

Some people at this point investigate the possiblity of starting a new church. This may be God's plan, or it may be a part of the journey. In an earlier post, I referenced an article on House Churches and how they have been a big part of re-capturing people who were hurt by the church.

In either case, it appears that most people at least ponder "What is church supposed to be?" There seems to be a lot of debate on this subject in recent years. Rick Warren's "Purpose Driven Church", Dan Kimball's "The Emerging Church", and George Barna's "Revolution" are all books people are blogging about - but I haven't read them, yet.

This appears to be the place where everyone is stuck. Even though I've chosen to attend a church, (and I know many don't) I am forever changed by the events that unfolded nine months ago. What am I going to do with it?

I believe God is doing a mighty work in the church in America. It's a big shakeup. Every where we have visited people are looking at changing their service format. Being "seeker-friendly", "contemporary", "relevant". That's all well and good, but I want to know what the church is supposed to DO.

There is one recurring theme throughout the New Testament. Once my husband put me on to it, I've seen it in every scripture passage I read. Love God and love people. This can only be accomplished in the Spirit-filled life.

If we had been apart of a Spirit-filled congregation who embraced this theme - we would not have been hurt. So what do we do now? We have to embrace it ourselves. We have to love (action verb, not feeling) our family, friends, strangers, the unwelcomed, the rejected, the difficult, and yes...those who caused our hurt.

Wow, this is getting tough. I need to think a little more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandee said...

Here's a post from another blog about how the church is changing and how we must be the church.

http://papilio588.wordpress.com/2006/07/29/some-thoughts-on-church/

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home